“OpenIDEO is a place where people design better, together for social good. It’s an online platform for creative thinkers: the veteran designer and the new guy who just signed on, the critic and the MBA, the active participant and the curious lurker. Together, this makes up the creative guts of OpenIDEO.”
This video gives a nice introduction to Open IDEO:
So, a challenge gets posted at Open IDEO, and participants take part in inspiration, concepting and evaluation. They can post new material, link to other things and build off other people’s ideas. Along the way IDEO helps out by helping to frame the challenge, prototype, and encourage discussion. Finally the strongest refined concepts are chosen and published in a way similar to creative commons – making it easy for them to be implemented, in order to create social good.
Open IDEO celebrates 5 key principles:
- Inclusive – It’s about allowing anyone to contribute to the creative process. Whether it’s a great insight, a beautiful sketch, an encouraging build, or a few words of praise, the platform allows everyone to take part in and feel as if they are a part of the process.
- Community-centered – OpenIDEO is meant to foster a strong, vibrant, lively community that thrives on inspiration. Focusing on this community and its activities is essential.
- Collaborative – Promote teamwork among individuals and teams by recognizing the many roles that are crucial to each step of the design process. Always choose collaboration over competition, and create an atmosphere for building on one another’s ideas.
- Optimistic – Stay optimistic! You never know when a wild idea might enable others to get closer to a viable solution.
- Always in Beta – Design for continuous improvement and iteration and scale deliberately. That goes for the community, the platform, and these principles.